Top Ad
I DIG Radio
www.idigradio.com
Listen live to the best music from around the world!
I DIG Style
www.idigstyle.com
Learn about the latest fashion styles and more...
I Dig Sports

I Dig Sports

Kyle Cummins Lands Indiana Midget Week Ride

Published in Racing
Monday, 03 June 2019 10:27
Kyle Cummins will drive for Jack Yeley during Indiana Midget Week.

SPEEDWAY, Ind. – Kyle Cummins, a veteran of 117 USAC AMSOIL National Sprint Car starts and three victories, will attempt to make his first USAC NOS Energy Drink National Midget start this week during the 15th annual Indiana Midget Week mini-series.

Cummins, of Princeton, Ind., will take the wheel of Jack Yeley’s Ohsweken Speedway-sponsored car in at least five of the six events during Indiana Midget Week, which begins Tuesday at Montpelier Motor Speedway, then carries on to Gas City I-69 Speedway on June 5, Lincoln Park Speedway on June 6, Bloomington Speedway on June 7, Lawrenceburg Speedway on June 8 and Kokomo Speedway on June 9.

Cummins drove for Yeley in this year’s Chili Bowl Midget Nationals in Tulsa, Okla., where he finished ninth in the A-Main on his qualifying night, then advanced as far as the B-Main on the final night.  Cummins piloted a midget in USAC competition as recently as March of 2017 in the Shamrock Classic indoors at the Southern Illinois Center in DuQuoin, finishing 10th in the semi-feature and missing the transfer aboard a car fielded by Chase Briscoe Racing.

Cummins’ trio of USAC National Sprint Car wins came in 2016 and ’17, two of which came in another weeklong USAC racing event, Indiana Sprint Week. He won his first during Indiana Sprint Week in 2016 at Kokomo, then scored again that fall at Tri-State Speedway in Haubstadt, Ind., and again during Indiana Sprint Week in 2017 at Tri-State, all for Rock Steady Racing, with whom he recently won twice with in Midwest Sprint Car Series competition at Tri-State in May.

Cummins has made three USAC Sprint Car starts this year, all in Ocala, Fla., where he finished eighth, 10th and 12th, respectively.

Jorginho: Sarri to Juve a 'betrayal' for Napoli

Published in Soccer
Monday, 03 June 2019 11:06

Chelsea midfielder Jorginho has said it would be "disappointing" if Maurizio Sarri joined Juventus and Napoli fans would see it as a "betrayal."

Sources have told ESPN FC that Chelsea are ready to accept a request from Sarri to move to Juventus as a replacement for Massimiliano Allegri despite having come close to leading Napoli to the Serie A title just 12 months ago.

- When are the Premier League fixtures published?
- When does the new Premier League season start?
- Who qualifies for Europe from the Premier League?

And Jorginho, who moved to Chelsea from the San Paolo alongside Sarri, said Napoli fans would take their former manager's decision personally.

"It would be [a betrayal] and that's normal," Jorginho said in a news conference ahead of Italy's Euro 2022 qualifier against Greece. "Neapolitans had and still have Sarri in their hearts.

"We know what the people of Naples are like -- they're very passionate. So, for them it could really be a betrayal, because it's how they are."

Despite leading Chelsea to a third place finish and winning the Europa League, Sarri has come in for criticism this season; but Jorginho said this will have been an important period in his fellow Italian's career.

"I believe [Sarri leaving] would be disappointing for everyone," Jorginho added. "I think Sarri has grown a lot and learned a lot in the Premier League.

"Not just through coaching us but by having joined such a big club -- one of the biggest in the world. Having worked with certain players has helped him grow."

U.S. defender Gonzalez joins Toronto FC

Published in Soccer
Monday, 03 June 2019 11:06

Omar Gonzalez has joined Toronto FC from Pachuca, the MLS club announced on Monday.

The United States defender, who was on loan at Atlas this season, had been in Mexico since leaving the LA Galaxy for Pachuca in January of 2016.

The 30-year-old was signed using Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) and will be officially added to the roster once the transfer window re-opens on July 9.

Gonzalez won a domestic title and the 2016-17 CONCACAF Champions League with Pachuca. Prior to his move to Mexico, Gonzalez played for the Galaxy from 2009-15, where he won three MLS Cup titles.

"Omar has won numerous championships and has played on the biggest stage in world football," said TFC general manager Ali Curtis in a team statement. "He is an experienced defender with over 200 appearances in MLS, including 25 playoff matches where he won five trophies in seven years

"His experience as a player but equally as important, who he is as a person will be a welcomed addition to our group here in Toronto."

Gonzalez has made 49 appearances for the U.S., and was part of the squad at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. He had an own goal in the infamous 2-1 defeat to Trinidad & Tobago that eliminated the U.S. from qualifying for the 2018 World Cup.

Goodell: Four preseason games not necessary

Published in Breaking News
Monday, 03 June 2019 10:38

BATAVIA, N.Y. -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is reiterating his stance of wanting to reduce the four-game preseason schedule at a time the league and players' association have begun preliminary talks on a new collective bargaining agreement.

Goodell cites discussions he's had with coaches in saying he doesn't believe four preseason games are necessary to evaluate and develop players for the regular season. He says the NFL should do everything to the highest quality, "and I'm not sure preseason games meet that level right now."

Goodell spoke Monday while participating in Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly's 33rd charity golf tournament outside Buffalo.

Also, without revealing any details, Goodell called it "the best sign" that the league and union have already had discussions some 21 months before the CBA expires following the 2020 season.

In touching on several other topics, he said the NFL has scheduled a series of conference calls with coaches this week to go over a proposal to expand replay reviews and allow them to challenge pass-interference calls in the final two minutes.

Goodell backed a decision made at the owners meetings last month to table a proposal to change the overtime rules and require each team to have one possession regardless of what happens on the opening OT series.

"I don't know if I'd go for the fair possession," Goodell said, noting he likes "the sudden-death nature of the current rule," in which the game ends if a team scores a touchdown on its opening possession.

Goodell also reiterated the league's preference for the Buffalo Bills to build a new stadium to replace their existing facility, which was built in 1973. He said new stadiums play a key role in ensuring franchise stability by continuing to attract fans, who expect more modern amenities due to technological advancements made over the past two decades.

The Bills are six months into conducting a feasibility study on whether to build a new stadium downtown or remain at their existing site in Orchard Park, New York.

Blues shake up lineup, but Binnington remains

Published in Breaking News
Monday, 03 June 2019 11:04

ST. LOUIS -- After a 7-2 shellacking from the Boston Bruins in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final, the St. Louis Blues are making lineup changes for Monday night's Game 4, trailing the series 2-1.

Defenseman Vince Dunn, who has been out of the lineup after taking a puck to the face in Game 3 of the Western Conference finals against San Jose, returns to the team's third defensive pairing with Carl Gunnarsson, replacing Robert Bortuzzo.

"I just wanted to feel myself getting used to the speed of things. The more I practiced, the more I felt I was catching up," said Dunn, 22, a smooth-skating defenseman who had seven points in 16 playoff games. "It's hard to watch, not being a part of these games."

Coach Craig Berube thinks Dunn can be a key to breaking out against the Bruins' disruptive defense.

"He moves the puck as good as anybody on our team from our own end out transition-wise, and Dunn has the ability of doing high-end things in the offensive zone sometimes. Not all the time, but there's just times where he can do things that wow you a little bit and make a great play, or score a goal from nothing. He can make something from nothing a lot of time in those areas," he said.

At the forward spot, the Blues shuffled three of their lines. Most dramatic was the elevation of Zach Sanford from the fourth line in Game 3 to the second line with center Ryan O'Reilly and winger David Perron.

"I think it can give us a nice spark. He had a nice game in the last one. We've played together multiple times during the year. It's a good fit. We need something to generate a little bit more 5-on-5," said O'Reilly.

The duo played with rookie forward Sammy Blais in the first three games of the series. O'Reilly has just one even-strength assist and one on the power play against Boston, while Perron has been held scoreless.

"At times, we're getting the looks that we need, but we're not maintaining enough. It's too much of a roller coaster. If the plays are there, we make them. I think Zach is really good at using his size to make plays around the ice," O'Reilly said.

Blais was dropped to the third line with Tyler Bozak and Pat Maroon. Robby Fabbri, who appeared in Games 2 and 3, leaves the lineup.

Center Oskar Sundqvist rejoins the team's fourth line with Ivan Barbashev and Alex Steen, after serving a one-game suspension for an illegal hit in Game 2. He's a key penalty killer for the Blues -- and perhaps it's no coincidence that the Bruins went 4-for-4 with the man advantage in Game 3.

Also back for the Blues: goalie Jordan Binnington, who was pulled from Game 4 after giving up the Bruins' fifth goal. It was the first time in his NHL career the rookie had been yanked from a game, but his coach and teammates were quick to stamp out any speculation that there's a lack of faith in their goalie, especially when he's 6-2 after losses in the playoffs.

"In his bounce-back games, it's just his calmness and his mannerisms more than anything. I think he goes back in there and he feels real confident about himself. Early on in games a lot of times you see his puck-handling ability, and I know that he's dialed pretty well when I notice that kind of stuff," Berube said.

Cubs call up Gonzalez, bat outfielder fifth

Published in Baseball
Monday, 03 June 2019 10:41

The Chicago Cubs called up outfielder Carlos Gonzalez on Monday and plugged him into the lineup, hoping the veteran could jolt the offense.

Gonzalez, 33, was signed to a minor league deal on Thursday after the Indians designated him for assignment.

Gonzalez was batting fifth and playing right field Monday against the Angels at Wrigley Field. The regular right fielder, Jason Heyward, moved over to center field.

Gonzalez was once one of the more feared hitters in baseball. The three-time All-Star won a batting title with a .336 average while with Colorado in 2010. He drove in 100 runs as recently as 2016.

He also gives the Cubs another left-handed option at the top of the lineup. In 110 games batting first, Gonzalez has a .310 batting average and .363 on-base percentage. The Cubs' leadoff hitters have struggled this year with a .218 batting average and .298 on-base percentage.

Gonzalez will have to find his form, however. The Indians gave up on him after he hit .210 with two home runs and seven RBIs in 30 games.

The Cubs were in first place in the Central Division for much of May, but they have been struggling lately, with the Brewers taking over the top spot in June. The Cubs are 2-8 in their past 10 games and haven't scored more than four runs in their last four.

To make room on the active roster, the Cubs sent down outfielder Jim Adduci.

Darling back in Mets booth after cancer surgery

Published in Baseball
Monday, 03 June 2019 11:06

NEW YORK -- New York Mets announcer Ron Darling is returning to the team's broadcast booth Tuesday night following surgery to treat thyroid cancer.

Darling said April 13 that he was taking a medical leave. On May 6, he said a mass had been removed and he planned to be back at work in about a month.

The 58-year-old former pitcher said in a statement Monday that his doctors tell him his cancer has been "stabilized for now" and he has been cleared to work. He added that he will be monitored closely for the next several months to "assure my progress remains on the right track."

Darling was 136-116 from 1983 to '95 and helped the Mets win the 1986 World Series.

Olympic champion race walker Ken Matthews dies

Published in Athletics
Monday, 03 June 2019 09:20

Former Race Walking Association president was part of Britain’s ‘golden quartet’ at the 1964 Tokyo Games

Ken Matthews, who won Olympic and European 20km race walk titles for Great Britain in the 1960s, has died at the age of 84.

Part of Britain’s ‘golden quartet’ at the 1964 Tokyo Games, Matthews’ winning margin of 99 seconds is still a record in the men’s Olympic event and his time of 1:29:34 saw him break the Olympic record.

Two years earlier Matthews had won the European title in Belgrade and he also secured success in the first two finals of the Lugano Trophy in 1961 and 1963, leading Britain to victory.

At the 1960 Olympics in Rome, where he had led the race, he was forced to drop out after suffering the after effects of flu and struggling in the heat.

A loyal member of Royal Sutton Coldfield Walking Club, Matthews was president of the Race Walking Association in London 2012 Olympic year. His 20km race walk best of 88:15 places him in the top 30 on the UK all-time list.

Matthews, who was an electrical maintenance engineer, started his race walk career as an 18-year-old, following in the footsteps of his father, Joe, who was a founding member of the Royal Sutton Coldfield Walking Club.

He went on to win 17 national titles, as well as secure his Olympic and European success, and between 1964 to 1971 he held every British record from 5 miles to 2 hours, including a 10-mile world best of 69:40.6.

His fellow 1964 champions Ann Packer, Mary Rand and Lynn Davies each received MBEs following their Olympic success but Matthews missed out. Following a public campaign, led by the Race Walking Association, Matthews finally received his own recognition and became an MBE in 1977.

He was inducted into the England Athletics Hall of Fame in 2011.

Olympic 800m champion can ‘compete without restriction’ while appeal is pending, says legal team

Caster Semenya can return to race “without restriction” while her appeal against the IAAF’s new regulations on female classification is pending, the two-time Olympic 800m champion’s legal team has said.

According to a statement released on Monday, the Federal Supreme Court of Switzerland has “ordered the IAAF to immediately suspend the implementation of the eligibility regulations against Caster Semenya”.

Semenya was quoted as saying: “I am thankful to the Swiss judges for this decision.

“I hope that following my appeal I will once again be able to run free.”

Semenya recently lost her landmark case at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against the IAAF’s new rules, which relate to restricting testosterone levels in female runners in certain events.

The ‘IAAF Eligibility Regulations for Female Classification (Athletes with Differences of Sex Development (DSD))’ had originally been due to come into effect on November 1, 2018, but were suspended. Following the CAS ruling, the regulations started on May 8.

Under the new rules Semenya – and other female athletes with DSD – would need to reduce their natural testosterone level in order to take part in certain women’s events in international competition.

The rules for athletes who have DSD apply to the 400m, 400m hurdles, 800m, 1500m, one mile races and combined events over the same distances.

Swiss counsel for Semenya, Dr Dorothee Schramm of Sidley Austin LLP, said: “The Swiss Supreme Court has granted welcome temporary protection to Caster Semenya.

“This is an important case that will have fundamental implications for the human rights of female athletes.”

According to the statement, the Swiss court will issue another ruling on the continued suspension of the IAAF regulations after receiving submissions from the sport’s global governing body.

Last year's runner-up Dominic Thiem reached the French Open quarter-finals with an impressive straight-set victory over home favourite Gael Monfils.

Thiem, 25, saw off the 14th-seeded Frenchman 6-4 6-4 6-2 in one hour and 48 minutes on Court Philippe Chatrier.

The Austrian produced a superb between-the-legs winner in the final set that brought applause from his opponent.

"There was no other choice to play that ball. When a ball like this goes in it is a hot shot!" said the fourth seed.

It is the first time Thiem has won in straight sets at Roland Garros this year.

"It was my best match of the tournament so far, some great rallies, it's always fun to play Gael," he added.

Thiem will now face either Russian Karen Khachanov or Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro for a place in the last four, where he could meet world number one Novak Djokovic.

Soccer

UEFA boss: 64-team World Cup plan 'a bad idea'

UEFA boss: 64-team World Cup plan 'a bad idea'

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsA push to expand the men's 2030 World Cup to 64 teams is "a bad ide...

Arsenal CB Gabriel's season over, surgery due

Arsenal CB Gabriel's season over, surgery due

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsArsenal defender Gabriel Magalhães will requires surgery on his ham...

Barça win appeal, Olmo, Víctor cleared to play

Barça win appeal, Olmo, Víctor cleared to play

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsSpain's sports ministry (CSD) have ruled that Dani Olmo and Pau Víc...

2026 FIFA


2028 LOS ANGELES OLYMPIC

UEFA

2024 PARIS OLYMPIC


Basketball

Sources: Maxey expected to miss rest of season

Sources: Maxey expected to miss rest of season

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsPhiladelphia 76ers star Tyrese Maxey is expected to be ruled out fo...

Sources: Morant, Hield warned over finger guns

Sources: Morant, Hield warned over finger guns

EmailPrintMemphis Grizzlies guard Ja Morant and Golden State Warriors guard Buddy Hield were both is...

Baseball

O's expect Henderson to return Friday vs. Royals

O's expect Henderson to return Friday vs. Royals

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsBALTIMORE -- Star shortstop Gunnar Henderson is expected to return...

St. Pete to spend $22.5M to fix Tropicana Field

St. Pete to spend $22.5M to fix Tropicana Field

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The once and possibly future home of the Ta...

Sports Leagues

  • FIFA

    Fédération Internationale de Football Association
  • NBA

    National Basketball Association
  • ATP

    Association of Tennis Professionals
  • MLB

    Major League Baseball
  • ITTF

    International Table Tennis Federation
  • NFL

    Nactional Football Leagues
  • FISB

    Federation Internationale de Speedball

About Us

I Dig® is a leading global brand that makes it more enjoyable to surf the internet, conduct transactions and access, share, and create information.  Today I Dig® attracts millions of users every month.r

 

Phone: (800) 737. 6040
Fax: (800) 825 5558
Website: www.idig.com
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Affiliated