
I Dig Sports
Faf du Plessis appointed Axar Patel's deputy at Delhi Capitals

Du Plessis, who was the captain at Royal Challengers Bengaluru (RCB) till the end of IPL 2024, was released by the franchise ahead of the mega auction last year, and was subsequently acquired by DC for his base price of INR 2 crore (US$0.24 million). He was chosen ahead of KL Rahul, another former IPL captain who moved to DC this year.
Du Plessis, a former South Africa captain in all formats, became a part of the IPL in 2012 after Chennai Super Kings (CSK) brought him on board. He remained a part of the team till the end of the 2015 season, moved to Rising Pune Supergiant/s for two seasons when CSK were banned from the IPL, and went back to CSK, staying there till 2021. RCB bought him at the auction in 2022 and, with Virat Kohli stepping down as the team's captain ahead of that season, was given charge of the team. He led them for three seasons, and while RCB reached the playoffs in both 2022 and 2024, they are yet to win the trophy they have chased for 17 seasons now.
Overall in the IPL, the 40-year-old du Plessis has 4571 runs from 145 matches at an average of 35.99 and a strike rate of 136.37. He remains active in the franchise cricket circuit, and last turned out in the SA20 for Joburg Super Kings earlier this year. He could also be in demand when the teams start building their squads for the upcoming season of the Hundred, with Southern Brave, now owned by the GMR Group that also owns DC, working on a deal to bring him on board.

CINCINNATI -- Two of the NFL's most prominent wide receivers will be with the Cincinnati Bengals for the foreseeable future.
Ja'Marr Chase and Tee Higgins told Fox Sports on Sunday that they have agreed to contract extensions. Chase agreed to a four-year, $161 million deal that includes $112 million guaranteed, while Higgins agreed to a four-year, $115 million deal that is guaranteed for the first two years, they told Fox Sports.
Chase's deal has an annual average of $40.25 million, setting an NFL record for the highest average annual salary for a non-quarterback.
The agreements conclude years of negotiations for each player. And quarterback Joe Burrow, who has been vocal in advocating for Chase and Higgins to get new contracts, now has his top targets secured.
"We have several guys like [Chase] who have stepped up for us and deserved to be paid," Burrow told ESPN at the Pro Bowl Games in January. "And deserve to be paid what they're worth."
Chase, who turned 25 on March 1, is coming off one of the best seasons by a receiver in NFL history. He became the fifth player since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970 to win the receiving triple crown, leading all players in receptions (127), receiving yards (1,708) and receiving touchdowns (17).
Higgins, 26, was hampered by injuries last season but was still productive when on the field. He was 10th in receiving yards per game (75.9), according to ESPN Research. He also caught 10 touchdowns in 12 appearances.
Each player was under team control for the upcoming season. Chase was on the final year of his rookie deal. The Bengals placed the franchise tag on Higgins for the second straight year.
However, the methods used by the team to control the salaries for both players caused plenty of consternation.
Ahead of the 2024 free agency period, Higgins requested a trade after he was franchise-tagged for the first time. The second-round pick in the 2020 draft ultimately decided to play last season on the tag.
A few months later, Chase conducted a "hold-in" during training camp in which he did not participate in any team activities. He ended his stalemate with the club ahead of the first game of the season.
Both players were ultimately rewarded for not only their previous efforts but for what they bring to the team in the future.
"We're paying guys for what they're going to give us," Bengals director of player personnel Duke Tobin said at the league's scouting combine in February. "We're not just paying guys for what they've already done."
Tobin, the team's de facto general manager, also made it clear the Bengals wanted to give Chase a historic contract. Chase's record for non-quarterbacks breaks the mark briefly held by Cleveland Browns defensive end Myles Garrett, who recently signed a four-year deal worth $40 million annually.
And any lingering issues from the rough first negotiation between the Bengals and Chase -- in which, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter, Chase felt misled -- had been smoothed over by this offseason.
At the scouting combine, Bengals coach Zac Taylor said he and Chase have a "great relationship" that includes the ability for the star receiver to provide feedback to the team's offensive playcaller.
"Ja'Marr does a great job of not just spewing answers that he doesn't think through because he wants the ball," Taylor said. "There's been times he said, 'Hey, man, everything else we're doing is working, and I'm just going to keep doing my thing over here, even though I haven't gotten a lot of touches.' But it's our job to put him in a position to get touches early in every single game."
Last season, the Bengals boasted one of the league's most efficient offenses. Cincinnati ranked eighth in points per drive, sixth in touchdowns per drive and fourth in touchdowns per pass attempt.
That wasn't enough to keep the Bengals from missing the playoffs for the second straight season. The repeat playoff absences occurred after back-to-back trips to the AFC Championship Game, including a victory and Super Bowl appearance in Chase's rookie season in 2021.
With Chase and Higgins now under new multiyear deals, Cincinnati has the playmakers to rebuild its status as a title contender.
Watts, Sonics icon and Seattle fixture, dies at 73

SEATTLE -- Donald "Slick" Watts, a fan favorite for the SuperSonics and later a beloved teacher and coach in Seattle, has died. He was 73.
Watts' son Donald, who played for Washington, announced his father's death Saturday on social media, writing: "You did so much for so many of us. It was an honor call you pops." Watts had been in poor health following a stroke in 2021.
Watts was signed by coach Bill Russell to play for the Sonics in 1973 as an undrafted rookie. He was with Seattle for less that five years, but became a fixture known for his broad smile, bald head and crooked headbands. He led the league in steals in the 1975-76 season.
He later played for the New Orleans Jazz and the Houston Rockets but made Seattle his home following his career and frequently attended Sonics events, as well as Washington and Seattle Storm games.
"We are saddened by the passing of Sonics icon Slick Watts," the Storm posted to social media. "Slick was a champion for the Storm and a beloved member of the Seattle community."
Grandson Isaiah Watts, who plays for Washington State, posted several photos of his grandfather. "I pray every time they see me they see you. Love you past life. I got us forever. Rest in paradise papa."
From Rolling Fork, Mississippi, Watts starred at Grand View Junior College and Xavier of Louisiana before entering the NBA.
In his later years, Watts taught physical education in the Seattle School District and ran a basketball academy with his son. He was named to the Sonics' 40th anniversary team.
Betts (illness) out for Tokyo Series; lost 15 pounds

TOKYO -- Los Angeles Dodgers shortstop Mookie Betts will not play in the two-game Tokyo Series against the Chicago Cubs because of an illness that has lingered for the past week.
Manager Dave Roberts said Monday that Betts is starting to feel better but has lost nearly 15 pounds and is still trying to get rehydrated and gain strength. Roberts added that the eight-time All-Star might fly back to the United States before the team in an effort to rest and prepare for the domestic opener on March 27.
The Cubs and Dodgers open the Major League Baseball season on Tuesday at the Tokyo Dome. A second game is on Wednesday.
"He's not going to play in these two games," Roberts said. "When you're dehydrated, that's what opens a person up to soft tissue injuries. We're very mindful of that."
Roberts said Miguel Rojas will start at shortstop in Betts' place for the two games at the Tokyo Dome.
Betts started suffering from flu-like symptoms at the team's spring training home in Arizona the day before the team left for Japan. He still made the long plane trip but hasn't recovered as quickly as hoped.
Roberts said if the team had known the illness would linger this long, Betts wouldn't have traveled. Betts tried to go through a workout on Sunday but became tired quickly.
Betts is making the full-time transition to shortstop this season after playing most of his career in right field and second base. The 2018 AL MVP hit .289 with 19 homers and 75 RBIs last season, helping the Dodgers win the World Series.
Teenager Andreeva 'runs like rabbit' to stun Sabalenka

Teenager Mirra Andreeva underlined her growing reputation as the hottest emerging talent on the WTA Tour by shocking world number one Aryna Sabalenka to win the Indian Wells title.
Russia's Andreeva, 17, produced a composed and clinical performance to fight back for a 2-6 6-4 6-3 victory.
It is her second successive title - and back-to-back victories at WTA 1,000 level - after triumphing in Dubai at the end of February.
Speaking to the Indian Wells crowd during the trophy presentation, a laughing Andreeva said: "I'd like to thank myself - for fighting until the end, for always believing and for never quitting.
"I tried to run like a rabbit because Aryna was sending bullets [across the net] and it was hard."
Andreeva is the youngest champion in WTA history at this level - the highest tier of events below the four Grand Slam tournaments - and extended her winning streak to 12 matches by beating Belarusian three-time major champion Sabalenka.
On Monday, Andreeva will rise to a career high of sixth in the world rankings.
Andreeva has been tipped as a potential superstar ever since bursting on the scene as a 15-year-old at the 2023 Madrid Open.
Former British number one Andy Murray was impressed enough to text a good luck message on her Grand Slam debut at the following year's French Open, while several former major champions, including Andy Roddick and Martina Navratilova, have been among many predicting she will be a future world number one.
"Andreeva is playing well above her years," said Navratilova, who was analysing the final for Sky Sports on Sunday.

Just as he did during the semi-final win over two-time defending champion Alcaraz, Draper made a fast start which sapped his opponent's confidence.
The Briton showcased the accurate serving which had been the bedrock of his run to the final, as well as regularly putting a tense Rune's first serve back into play - and hit ripping winners from the baseline.
Two breaks of Rune's serve were backed up with rapid holds to keep piling on pressure, with a 4-0 lead quickly turning into a 5-1 advantage.
Draper did not lose a first-serve point until the game where he closed out the opening set.
The manner of his dominance led to a ruffled Rune going off court for a mental reset - despite having only been playing for 29 minutes.
Draper pounced for another break at the start of the second set, maintaining his lead by continuing to bully Rune with deep forehand returns.
Even regular dialogue with his team could not help get the increasingly animated Rune back on track.
A poor service game handed Draper the cushion of a double break at 5-2 and the chance to serve out for the title.
Draper had wobbled when trying to see out victories against third seed Taylor Fritz in the quarter-finals and four-time major champion Alcaraz in the last four.
But there was no sign of anxiety when serving out for the championship - another indicator of Draper now truly believing he belongs among the very best.
"I think the new experiences, and new emotions, got the better of me against Carlos," he said.
"Turning around that third set massively helped my confidence."

Following the England debacle, it was left to interim head coach Matt Sherratt to say there needs to be a Welsh rugby reset and change to the foundations of the game.
There have been no public comments following another disastrous Six Nations campaign yet from chief executive Abi Tierney or chair Richard Collier-Keywood.
Former Wales captain Sam Warbuton believes the governing body need to be more vocal and transparent to supporters.
"The key stakeholder in the WRU is the fans, who are paying 100 a ticket to come here," Warburton told the BBC.
"I think they deserve to know. As a company, I think it's really good to get buy-in from the fans and say 'look, this is our mission, this is what we want to do, this is our one, three, five-year plan, this is what we want to achieve'. I think people have the right to do that.
"People are losing faith now but they'll lose faith even quicker if there is radio silence.
"If they just come out and say what the plan is you want to get the public onside."
Warburton added: "The reason Welsh rugby survives is because we can fill out 75,000 here [at the Principality Stadium] and all that money filters down into the pro teams, into age-grade, into grassroots.
"Without the internationals and the fans coming, there's not much of a game in Wales, so you've got to keep fans onside."

England debutant Henry Pollock predicted he would score his first Test try on the wing and even rehearsed his celebration the night before, says club-mate Tommy Freeman.
Pollock, 20, came off the bench to score two late tries against Wales on Saturday - adding gloss to England's thumping 68-14 Six Nations win in Cardiff.
The Northampton Saints back row became England men's youngest Six Nations try-scorer, beating Henry Arundell's previous record by 36 days, after latching on to George Ford's pass to open his account out wide.
Pollock's meteoric rise - from winning the Under-20 World Cup with England last summer to breaking through at Northampton and making a Test debut - has come as no surprise to Saints team-mate Freeman.
"He is unbelievable," said Freeman, who made history of his own by becoming the first England player to score a try in every game of a Six Nations campaign.
"I don't want to big him up too much, but honestly, he brings energy like you have never seen before for a 20-year-old.
"I remember my first game I was shaking in the corner, all nervous. But this guy, nothing fazes him.
"I remember [Friday] night as well. He was in my room telling me he was going to get his first try on the wing - and then he gets it.
"He was doing the try celebrations as well in the room, showed me what he was going to do.
"But that is the type of guy he is, and fair play to him, he backs it up and he has got a big career ahead of him.
"That kid is pretty, pretty special, and he will continue to be, I am sure."

Gloucester-Hartpury: Sing; Venner, H Jones, Heard, Hendy; George, Hunt; Perry, N Jones, Muir, Beckett, Aldcroft, Williams, Lewis, Matthews.
Replacements: Boag, Carson, Buggy, Else, Brock, Davies, Green, Lund.
Sin-bin: Hunt (15), Matthews (52).
Saracens: Breach; Corrigan, Hardy, Bridger, Sharp; Harrison, Wyrwas; Gondwe, Campbell, Clifford, Galligan, Evans, Senft, Packer, P Cleall.
Replacements: Field, Hunt, Tremelling, B Cleall, McMillan, Sellors, McKellon, Gregson.
Referee: Joe James
Townsend optimistic on future but is it 'time for change'?

"I don't like saying this, but I genuinely think it's a time for a change at the top end," Wright told the BBC's Scotland Rugby Podcast.
"Gregor's been here a long time and he's changed and he's made the team play some great, exciting rugby.
"But ultimately he's not had any real success in the Six Nations or the World Cups - out twice before the knockout stages, although we've had two really tough groups.
"It's one thing about changing the style and being exciting and good to watch, but ultimately we want to try and be competing at the top end.
"Are we delusional to think that we're actually good enough to compete at the top end? I would say with this group of players, we should be.
"I think Gregor's a really good coach, and I think the guys he's got round about him are good guys, but maybe it's just a new voice that's needed."