Top Ad
I DIG Radio
www.idigradio.com
Listen live to the best music from around the world!
I DIG Style
www.idigstyle.com
Learn about the latest fashion styles and more...

Nathan Lyon hopes SCG doesn't turn to drop-in wickets

Written by 
Published in Cricket
Tuesday, 15 October 2019 17:08

Nathan Lyon has implored the SCG not to turn to drop-in pitches following the latest clash between sporting codes which has seen New South Wales' Sheffield Shield match against Tasmania shifted away from the iconic ground.

The game will now be played at Drummoyne Oval - with next week's Marsh Cup match also moved to North Sydney Oval - after the decision was taken that the wicket block would be at risk from significant damage if it was used this week.

The problem has been blamed on the Sydney Roosters' training session in early October before the NRL Grand Final. It has resurfaced the debate about the usage of the ground with cricket under pressure from the winter sports.

Next month's T20I between Australia and Pakistan will now be the first cricket of the season at the ground followed by New South Wales' Sheffield Shield match against Western Australia in mid November.

Lyon, who has played just three Sheffield Shield matches at the SCG through his career, hopes the ground does not go the way of the MCG, which has had problems with its pitches in recent years, and Adelaide by using drop-in surfaces.

"I really hope it doesn't go to drop-in. I really think the characteristics of an SCG pitch is part of our cricket history here," Lyon said ahead of his first appearance of the season. "It's called the Sydney Cricket Ground so I personally believe we should keep the wickets the same, I don't really want drop-ins."

Though the latest problems have stemmed from rugby league, the SCG is home to the Sydney Swans Australia Rules Football team. Earlier this year their coach, John Longmire, said drop-in surfaces should be discussed.

"With a wicket base on the ground, it's something we've always been mindful of, obviously we'd support a drop in wicket if that was part of the discussion," he said in April. "It's certainly very important to discuss it, it's a 12 months a year venue."

"It gets highlighted now because there's more traffic here, and every weekend there's a game where that hasn't been the case in the past. Ideally, the winter codes would appreciate having just the same turf all over the ground. We understand we've got compromises. They play a lot of cricket here."

In July, the SCG Trust - which runs the ground - formed a committee to consider drop-in pitches. Cricket NSW is strongly opposed to any move that way. "The move to a drop-in wicket with lifeless uniformity will create the risk of boring cricket," their submission to the committee said.

Read 375 times

Soccer

Postecoglou on VAR: Might as well let AI be ref

Postecoglou on VAR: Might as well let AI be ref

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsTottenham Hotspur manager Ange Postecoglou bemoaned the time-consum...

Parsons: USWNT's Thompson best in NWSL in '25

Parsons: USWNT's Thompson best in NWSL in '25

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsTHOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Angel City FC sporting director Mark Parso...

Maresca: My mistake nearly cost Chelsea win

Maresca: My mistake nearly cost Chelsea win

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsChelsea boss Enzo Maresca said he could have blown his side's chanc...

2026 FIFA


2028 LOS ANGELES OLYMPIC

UEFA

2024 PARIS OLYMPIC


Basketball

Nets coach on Ant scare: I have to move faster

Nets coach on Ant scare: I have to move faster

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsNEW YORK -- Brooklyn coach Jordi Fernandez took the blame for Minne...

Luka takes blame for 'unacceptable' night in loss

Luka takes blame for 'unacceptable' night in loss

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsLOS ANGELES -- Luka Doncic hit his first shot Thursday night, scori...

Baseball

Judge gets 500th extra-base hit; 3rd-fastest Yank

Judge gets 500th extra-base hit; 3rd-fastest Yank

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsNEW YORK -- Aaron Judge smiled and perhaps blushed when informed of...

Reds: 1st since 1960 to lose 3 straight by 1-0

Reds: 1st since 1960 to lose 3 straight by 1-0

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsMILWAUKEE -- The Cincinnati Reds lost 1-0 to the Milwaukee Brewers...

Sports Leagues

  • FIFA

    Fédération Internationale de Football Association
  • NBA

    National Basketball Association
  • ATP

    Association of Tennis Professionals
  • MLB

    Major League Baseball
  • ITTF

    International Table Tennis Federation
  • NFL

    Nactional Football Leagues
  • FISB

    Federation Internationale de Speedball

About Us

I Dig® is a leading global brand that makes it more enjoyable to surf the internet, conduct transactions and access, share, and create information.  Today I Dig® attracts millions of users every month.r

 

Phone: (800) 737. 6040
Fax: (800) 825 5558
Website: www.idig.com
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Affiliated